7.18.2012

Miss Merle's Meyer Lemon Bars

Our neighbors have several Meyer Lemon trees, so every Spring and Summer we get tons of Meyer Lemons from them. Our neighbor (who the girls call Miss Merle) also makes the best lemon bars with the lemons.
I begged her to give me the recipe because they are some of the best lemon bars I have ever had! And, being the nice person that I am, I thought I would share the recipe with you!
Miss Merle's Lemon Bars

Here is what you need:
2 1/2 cups flour, divided
1/2 cup powdered sugar, sifted
3/4 cup butter
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
4 eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
1/2 cup Meyer lemon juice

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350
Combine 2 cups flour & powdered sugar in a bowl.
Cut in butter with a pastry blender until crumbly.
Spoon in mixture into a 9x13 pan (sprayed with Pam)
Press mixture evenly into the pan using fingertips or spatula.
Bake for 20-25 minutes until crust is lightly browned.
While crust is baking, get that lemon juice ready.
You will need 1/2 cup of lemon juice, which was about 2 lemons worth.
I used a cheese grater for my lemon rind. You just need 1 teaspoon.
In a bowl, combine eggs, sugar, lemon rind and lemon juice. Stir.
Combine the remaining 1/2 cup flour and baking powder with the lemon mixture.
Once the crust is done baking, pull it out of the oven & then pour the mixture over the crust.
Put back in the oven & bake an additional 25 minutes (or until lightly browned & set)
Once cooled, cut in squares & sprinkle with powdered sugar.
I hope you like them as much as we do!
Thanks Merle for the lemons AND the recipe!
Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Your recipes kill me. I've made so many of them, including the banana bread yesterday. Hello weight gain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! This looks so good. Why are you not as big as santa clause with all these wonderful baking recipes that you post :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all of your wonderful recipes! These lemon bars look wonderful. Lemon bars are one of my favorite desserts but I will not make them for fear of messing up on them:). Do you deliver? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh these look so good! I have a different recipe that makes us all swoon, but I'll have to try this one out soon! Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin