10.18.2016

Show + Tell Tuesday {Quirks}

Today I'm linking up with Show & Tell Tuesday...we are sharing our quirks!
Thanks for the fun link up Andrea!

Well, I have a LOT of quirks, but I'll limit my list to 10 :)

{ONE}
I have a freakish memory when it comes to numbers/birthdays (good thing I am a math teacher, right?)
If you tell me your birthday, I will remember it. It is randomly stored in my brain and I don't know why, but I never forget your birthday once you tell it to me.
I have been like this my whole life...my friends call me Rain Man because of this.

{TWO}
I love color coding things.
When I was in middle school and high school, I would color code my classes.
English was purple...that meant I would write my English assignments in my planner in purple pen. My English folder was purple & I would have a purple book cover on my English books.
History was blue, Science was green, Spanish was orange & Math was pink (my favorite color & favorite subject)
Wow...I can't believe I can't believe I even remember what color I used for these subjects all these years later.

{THREE}
Speaking of color coding things, my closet is organized by color. 
I have all my shirts in rainbow order, then white, grey & black (grey is in the middle of white & black because if you mixed the 2 colors together it would be grey)

{FOUR}
Speaking of clothes....starting on the first day of my freshman year in high school, I had a notebook where I wrote down what I wore to school EVERY SINGLE DAY.....all 4 years of high school. 
I still have this notebook in a bin with all my high school mementos. 
I wrote down my outfits (including shoes/belts) because I didn't want to wear a duplicate outfit more than once every 3 months in high school. 
Side note...I grew up in California & when I was in high school the movie "Clueless" had just been released and my high school was a little bit like that. 
Anyways...yeah....for 4 years I wrote down every single outfit I wore to school. Who does that?!?! 
If my younger sister is reading this, I am pretty sure she started doing this also because I did. I was such a good influence.....

{FIVE}
I love even numbers. Kevin and I were married on 8-24-02 and I love that date because they are all divisible by 2. When I was pregnant with all 3 of my kids I would write down dates to see if I liked the way they "looked" With Kate I was due in January of 2007, and those are both odd numbers, so I even though I love even numbers, I wanted her to be born on an odd numbered day since January is an odd month and so is the year 2007. She was born on 1-23-07, so that worked out ;)
My younger sister is also a math teacher & also has a weird thing with dates like me, so during our pregnancies we would text each other dates that we hoped our babies would be born on.

{SIX}
I can be slightly OCD.
We didn't find out gender of our kids until they were born.
When I was pregnant with Luke, we knew that if he was a boy, his name would be Luke (it was our boy name from when I was pregnant with both girls) 
When we were figuring out a girl name during his pregnancy, I really loved the name Charlotte.
BUT, I didn't want another C name because then I would have a  K name & 2 C names. That seemed strange to me if I had a Kate, Claire & Charlotte and that 2 out of the 3 names started with a C. I just couldn't deal with that (I KNOW...I have issues!!!) When I was 38 weeks pregnant, Kevin called me from work one day and said...if it's a girl, it will be Emma. He liked that name better and I felt so relived that it was not a C name.

Side note....Luke ended up being born at 1:01 am on August 9th. I was really hoping he would be born on August 8, because 8-8-12 is all even numbers unlike his bday of 8-9-12.
And, to top it off, Claire is September 9th, so now I have 2 kids who were born on the 9th of the month, so I have OCD that 2 out of my 3 kids were born on the 9th of the month and not all 3. 
Seriously....I told you I have issues...who can relate?!!?

{SEVEN}
During the summer my kids get a bath maybe 1 a week....or every 10 days.
I know...SO BAD.
But, here's the thing.
The past 3 years California has been in a MAJOR drought.
Last summer we were all placed on water restrictions.
We have a pool and my girls are on swim team, so they were swimming practically every day in the summer. The chlorine kills germs & cleans them, right?!?!?
One day last summer, I realized my kids hadn't had a bath in almost TWO WEEKS.
#MOMFAIL
But, I will let you know that when I got our water bill last August, we had used 46% less since
the year before.
I'm just trying to do my part for the drought.
Swimming totally counts as a bath...rights?!?! ;)
{EIGHT}
I have issues with mayonnaise.
It makes me want to barf.
I can't have it on my sandwiches.
*SHUDDER*
I do have some recipes that require mayo mixed in...I have gotten better with using it if it's mixed in, but I used to have Kevin add the mayo to a recipe because it would make me gag.
If I have a recipe that calls for mayo mixed in, I will buy the smallest jar of mayo and then after I use what we need for the recipe, I will throw away the jar of mayo. I can't even handle having it in my fridge.
I also can't handle hard boiled eggs. I love eggs....scrambled eggs, fried eggs, eggs benedict, etc.
But hard boiled eggs? NO WAY. I just can't with the texture....makes my skin crawl.
My biggest nightmare is Deviled Eggs or Egg Salad Sandwiches because they require hard boiled eggs and mayo. EWWWWW.

{NINE}
I am a sponge-a-phob.
Sponges are also known to me as "porous rectangles of germs"
Sponges give me the heeby-jeebies.
I can't even touch them. They freak me out.
They are nasty germ & dirt traps.
What is that material they are made of?
Gives me the chills.
I avoid sponges like the plague.
I do not and will not have a sponge in my kitchen sink.
For our dishes, I use a scrubber (with a handle, of course)
For our counter tops, I use Granite Wipes or I use Granite Cleaner with washcloths.
It is a great system for our kitchen.
My house is a Sponge Free Zone.
My mother in law thinks this is hysterical and puts a new sponge in my Christmas stocking every year. I throw them away...I can't handle sponges.

{TEN}
I am not a morning person. I am a night owl.
I HATE waking up early. I also have a fear of oversleeping and being late.
If I had to get up at 4am to catch a flight, I would rather stay up all night than go to bed early and having to wake up early. It would be easier for me to just stay up until 4 am than set my alarm for 4 am. I always have dreams that I over slept and am late for school. 
I set 3 alarms every morning. One alarm on my bedside clock, one alarm on my phone (in case the power goes out and my bedside clock doesn't work) and another alarm on my back up-back up battery travel alarm clock (in case the power goes out or my phone battery dies and that alarm doesn't go off)


WOW. I am going to end this right here because it is a nice list of 10 things. 
I have more things I could add to this list, but I am just going to end at 10 because that is a nice even number ;)
I promise I am actually a nice, normal person despite all my quirks :)

11 comments:

  1. Loved this list! I agree on the Mayo! So nasty!!!!! Even worse? Miracle Whip.
    Your numbers thing cracks me up, I have an accountant friend who is the same way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a morning person either! God Bless people who can wake up easily before 7am.
    I love my midnight bedtime!
    -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read a few of these show and tells today and I totally identify with your list the most lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know how many times my husband and I have looked at each other and said when was the last time we bathed the kids...so I can relate to that for sure!!! I didn't keep my High School clothing calendar but I did have one and wrote down a different outfit for everyday of the month...didn't want to repeat you know. So I love you wrote yours down too!!! Have a great day and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have date issues too and I like everything even. Even numbers, evenly spaced out things, things lined up, etc. I like the number 8 because it's an even number and it symmetrical. :- )

    ReplyDelete
  6. HA! I'm not totally skeeved out by mayo (how can you with your awesome BLT salad!) but I agree- get the small bottle and toss it when you're done with the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loathe early mornings! They are not for me. Also I totally agree with you on the sponges... I get chill bumps when I even think about one, they are so gross!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I laughed all the way through this!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Either you have posted this same exact list before, or I have known you for 14+ years. Holy Moly, 14 years?! WTH? Not sure where that time went, but glad just the same. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love these quirks! I also love that you love to color coordinate your closet. Andrew does too...and I always mess with him when hanging up the laundry by putting colors in the wrong places :).

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin